3.11.2011

Why are we SO quick to complain in DAILYness?

So, this morning, I awoke to a nice coat of ice and snow ALL over my car. Mid-March Madness, I guess. Anyway, I found myself grumbling as I scraped my car to go to work....and day dreaming about living on the West Coast where it's sunny & 70 all the time.... :-) ah, soon enough!

Then I got in my car and headed to work. Of course, with the snow, a 15 minute drive turned into a 45 minute drive due to accidents all over the place (it's not that much snow, people, drive...come on!) Mumbling and grumbling about bad drivers and snow and Fridays... I turned on my radio...and realized I could have been waking up to this:


Quake, Tsunami Hit Japan; Waves Moving Toward West Coast
 Really, people? Why do we complain so much??? It's like an automatic response to inconvenience...like complaining will make it go away...or make us feel better.

I'm ashamed of my own lack of gratefulness. Lately, it seems like everything is just on hold...every ounce of work and effort I put into life comes back around  to...WAIT...just hold on... and deep in my heart I know that is a good thing...that God is at work in me and at work on my behalf. BUT instead of trusting Him and resting and being grateful...I whine...

My mom used to read the book  "Wendy & the Whine" to me on a daily basis (at least it seemed like it ;-) Why? Well, like most little girls...there were moments in the day when I would let out the most ridiculous whines...ugh. Did the book cure me? Mostly. I was scared of  "The Whine." But as I'm admitting, I occasionally am still visited by Monster Whine!

Now, I'm reminded of a verse that God has been trying to instill in me for a year now...

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (NIV, ©2011)
Rejoice always,
pray continually,
give thanks in all circumstances;
for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

OR
 
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (AMP)
  • Be happy [in your faith] and rejoice and be glad-hearted continually (always);
  • Be unceasing in prayer [praying perseveringly];
  • Thank [God] in everything [no matter what the circumstances may be, be thankful and give thanks], for this is the will of God for you [who are] in Christ Jesus [the Revealer and Mediator of that will].

Yeah...OUCH! So...what will we do about that verse? That's a TALL order...
Do we just ignore is and stay focused on Jer. 29:11?

What about what Jesus also said in John 14:15?
"If you love Me, you will obey what I command."

There's no wiggle room there...

So I guess, our response to 1 Thess. 5:16-18 should be:
1. Do NOT complain...ever
2. Instead, Pray persistently, in every situation!
3. AND...be GRATEFUL...for everything!! (even fleas)
**THIS is God's Will!!**


 Ok, got it...
now, help me, Jesus!!
I SO want to honor You!

2 comments:

  1. I am truly grateful for all that He has given me. Yet I grumble and complain that I have less than others. I think your post is a lesson that we all need to take to heart. Thanks you for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you, tim, for the encouragement! i'm glad that my flesh moment helped you ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! What are your thoughts?