4.18.2011

I WANT THE CROSS!

Every year when Easter comes, I think about the cross...if I can make it through the Passion of the Christ, I try to spend time reflecting on what Jesus did at the cross...

The other day I thought about something...
Jesus died so that He could be raised from the dead.
COOL!

Wait, hold on, He died for my sins? The wages of sin is death, right?
So, Jesus died so that I wouldn't have to die...right?
But everyone still dies...
Ok, Rachel, really? What about John 3:16? It says that anyone who believes in Him will not perish (die) but have ETERNAL life..
Very Metaphysical...

What about this...?
"Then he said to the crowd, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross daily, and follow me. If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it." Luke 9:23-24


And, this...
"For God's way of making us right with himself depends on faith. I want to know Christ and experience the mighty power that raised him from the dead. I want to suffer with him, sharing in his death, so that one way or another I will experience the resurrection from the dead!" Phil. 3:9-11


It seems that about every 6 hours over the past few weeks I have been hearing these two verses. And I must admit that I often wrestle with how they are worked out in my life...

Jesus loves me, THIS I know.
Jesus died on the cross for my sins.
Jesus died so that He could be raised from the dead...in power!
Jesus died so that I could live...but...
Jesus died so that I could die?
Jesus was raised from the dead...so that I could be raised from the dead...

WAIT, I'm dead? How am I dead...I'm writing this blog...
 "For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God." 1 Corinthian 1:18


Let me work through my thoughts...
  • Jesus died to the POWER of sin (ultimate death, separation from God, immorality) ...
  • His resurrection showed that JESUS IS MORE POWERFUL THAN SIN!
  • When, I accept Jesus as my LORD, I have to die to my sinful nature...
  • I, in essence, lose my own personal sovereignty and give Him control...
  • In return for my "death" to sin, Jesus gives me the same POWER OVER SIN!!
  • The SAME power that RAISED CHRIST from the dead...
  • DWELLS...resides and has AUTHORITY...in ME...and you (if Jesus is your Lord)

COOL! (for lack of a better word)


 

 So, I have to choose to walk in submission to the authority of Jesus Christ...
That is the key to victory...
I have to be so..."into who HE IS, that I step away from who I am..."
(thank you, Steve Axtell)

 
I find myself in a crux...I know what I am to do...but I am SO quick to forget...
 
How do I deny myself, take up my cross and follow Jesus daily?
What does that look like?
 
My prayer must become...I WANT THE CROSS... I want to live in the victory of death to sin... I must choose to EMBRACE Christ's deliberate decision to lay His life down...and lay mine down... in meekness (controlled power)...submission to the greater Authority ... Christ in me...my HOPE
  • I must serve instead of looking to be served
  • I must deny my need to be "right"
  • I must deny my "right" to be heard or get even
  • I must choose to stand firm on TRUTH not on societal norms
  • I must be willing to be a peacemaker even when I'm the brunt of the attack
  • I must be willing to prefer my brother/sister even when they despise me
  • I must be willing to suffer for the sake of being right before God...rather than men...even when those men are my brothers...
  • I must be willing to walk by faith, not by sight...
  • I must be willing to become less so that Jesus and His LOVE may be put on display and become more!



 
...I WANT THE CROSS! Oh that each day would be lived out embracing a lifestyle of submission to His authority... Teach me, Jesus...help me walk this out...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! What are your thoughts?